Fitting exercise into a busy schedule can be a challenge, but did you know that sparing just 10 minutes out of your day is all you need to boost your energy levels with a quick cardio workout?
Some exercise is better than no exercise! If you can’t fit a full 60 minute workout into your day, a quick but effective 10-minute cardio blast is great to make the most of the time you have…
Warm up: Start by warming up with a dynamic stretch routine, loosening up from your head down to your toes. Your movements should be slow and flowing.
- Circle your arms while marching on the spot for 30 seconds.
- March with high knees while swinging your arms for 30 seconds.
- 10 calf raises - stand with your feet shoulder width apart and rise up onto your toes, hold for a second, then lower back down.
- 10 squats - stand with your feet shoulder width apart and toes pointing forward. Lower down and sit back as if you are going to sit in a chair, hold for a second, then lead with your hips to come back to standing.
- 10 shallow lunges. A lunge is simply a step forward and then a step back with the same leg. Put your hands on your hips, keep a straight back and take an exaggerated step forward, lowering your back knee toward the ground. Hold the lunge for two seconds and then step back. Repeat with the other leg.
- Jog in place for 30 seconds.
Cardio blast: Do each exercise for 30 seconds then move onto the next one. Repeat the sequence or pair this 10 minute workout with my hamstring workout (on the Herbalife YouTube channel), followed by cool down stretching. Add weights into the routine to help you progress.
- March in place (as you did in your warm up)
- Shallow squats with front arm raises. As you lower your body into a squat, lift both arms in front of you until parallel to the floor and hold. Lead with the hips to rise back up and lower your arms down.
- Jog in place.
- Deeper squats with shoulder press. Lower your body down into a deep squat (aim to have thighs parallel to the floor) with your arms folded in toward your chest. As you come up, do a traditional shoulder press; reaching your hands high above your head.
- Jumping jacks; bringing arms out to the side or overhead.
- Split squat right side with lateral arm raise. Lower down into lunge position with right foot in front of left. Lift your arms, hold, then rise back up. Repeat, staying on right leg.
- Side jumps – step or jump from side to side.
- Split squat left side with shoulder shrug. Lower down into lunge position with left foot in front of right, arms by your side. As you rise up, keep both feet in position and shrug both your shoulders. Repeat, staying on left leg.
Written by Samantha Clayton, AFAA, ISSA. Samantha is Sr. Director of Fitness Education at Herbalife.